Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Liquid Oxygen and Politics

Yesterday, Dustin, our grad student, came down with bronchitis and was rushed to the hospital by Tomek before I even strolled in the door of the chemistry building. We were supposed to be learning how to change optics on the argon ion laser, though Tomek was the one who had to show us. By the time he got back, there were so many people waiting to learn about the laser, that he picked only JP to sit in on learning how to use it. I was ticked at first, since I had gotten excited about working with a two meter long instrument of certain death, but I had the rest of the day pretty much off, so that was a plus. I spent the time trying to figure out the cheapest way to achieve my post Poland plans, which are currently to head to Croatia and shep some sheep before visiting my fam in Scotland. God willing, by the end of the summer, I will have had enough experience herding those remarkably bright woolly friends that New Zealand will be bending over backwards to get me to emigrate. I may even be allowed to bring in some fruit!

So, what I'm trying to get to here is that Jonathan and I accidentally caused a buildup of liquid oxygen in the rotovap. Thank God there was no grease on the apparatus, or else we could have done a lot more damage to the lab than a mere fridge explosion.

I promised that I'd give you a little taste of the political viewpoint that I've seen here, which is comprised of several encounters, mostly with people my age and mostly with fairly reasonable people. I'll say first that Poland is not a nation of extremes; this is no China. Some people agree with government and some people don't. Some people think for themselves, and some people don't. If discussing politics with anyone here (not just polish students) could prompt me to make any kind of general statement, it would be that general statements are bunk. I've heard many things from fellow Americans studying abroad, and I find some of their perceptions to be a bit misconceived at the best, and just flat out wrong at the worst. But, I can give you what I have seen and heard.

First of all, I was fortunate enough to meet a political sciences student from Portugal who shares my conservative viewpoints on many matters. His first question was regarding Bush; live or let die? Perhaps he expected me to get defensive like so many Americans here who don't really have opinions about anything substantial, but have been told that the answer to this question is "**** Bush". Instead, I provided a detailed outline of what I found faulty with the Bush administration and what I felt they had done right. There were nods of agreement; I knew I was off to a good start. I cannot tell you how happy I was to encounter a European who did not blindly hate America's former leaders (The next night, I was depressed when, after being introduced to one of JP's friends, I was blamed for the mistakes of America).

I then inquired as to the image of President Obama in Western Europe, especially in his attempts to revamp foreign policy. What my Portuguese friend told me was that Obama has charisma (this I know, for Obama told me so), and had struck a harmonious note with two major concerns for Europeans: open foreign relationships and the environment. However, he felt, as I feel, worried about Obama; neither of us has very much hope that Obama can do half of the things that he's promised. And as far as foreign relationships go (I laughed for days when I heard about the "Overcharge" button in Russia; I mean, there is just something about giving Russia a button to push that defies all pretenses of professional behavior), Europeans are less concerned with some of the blunders that the administration has made trying to connect culturally, i.e. the aforementioned Russian incident, bowing to the House of Saud (some dark symbolism lurks in the shadows with this one), hugging the Queen, and more pleased with the fact that at least this administration is trying. It's the thought that counts apparently.

When I informed my friend that I was a supporter of Ron Paul, he was lost, but when I said Libertarian, his reaction was akin to Van Helsing attempting to stave off vampires with an outstretched crucifix. In European political science, students are taught that Libertarians want everyone to own their own nuclear weapons and smoke grass all day. I tried to assure that I wasn't pushing for backyard nukes, but I don't know if he believed me.

He said the view of Americans is just as we in the States fear; we are ignorant of our own political system and care little for the rest of the world. In reality, I see little difference between Estadosunidenses and the general European populace. I am familiar with the levels in the States where people either don't care, know very little and express other's opinions, or are knowledgeable and form their own opinions; the same categories are expressed here. It may be that Europeans just have a natural immunity to the guilt that the government in the US is affecting upon its citizens.

Just as a little side note; I am aware that there are other things that fall into play here. I'm just tired of writing about America's perceived shortcomings, especially when I consider that many Europeans who have attempted to criticize America know next to nothing about American culture.

That's all for my political diatribe. You may be able to tell that my good humor is ebbing. I will, however, relate one more thing that gave me some musings. I had another friend, Polish this time, tell me that she couldn't think of me as an American. She considered me, after a fashion, Polish. This is strange, and I don't know what it means. I could interpret this as a compliment on my personal character and composure, or this might be a revelation that the European perception of Americans is highly skewed. Which, I am not sure, but I aim to find out more.

Many of you will be pleased to know that I am well on the way to unearthing some of the legends of the Magic Belt of Poland. I will be travelling to Warszawa next week, and I will make sure to drop by the archeology museum, the last known resting place of the Belt, for some information. Hopefully, I can get some documentation to show all of you who think that I wrote the Wikipedia article that the Belt is a true legend (You know who you are).

Stay tuned for my next edition when I shall enlighten you with more of the nuances I discover hiding in the only country where it is fashionable for male teenagers to wear capris.

2 comments:

  1. Garik, I'm enjoying reading your blog. Thanks for posting the link on spiffy. I hate to tell you, though, Poland is not the only place where you'll find males wearing capris! Apparently its also very popular in Sweden :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're extremely long-winded as usual darling.

    ReplyDelete